Puritan Belief

The Puritans are the men of God who started in the 16th century building on the purity of the gospel message that Salvation is by Grace alone.

I am the Good Shepherd - Jesus

....He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside quite waters. Psalm 23:2
....My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me;.......they will never perish John 10:27-28

The most popular Psalm is arguably the gentle poetic words of Psalm 23 The Lord is my Shepherd. Why is it so powerful one may ask? The answer is because it speaks of the good shepherd who was to come. The verse declares the unlimited magnitude of the power of Jesus the good shepherd to keep and hold His sheep. When the Lord used David to write this Psalm he was declaring the strength and power that He has over his Sheep as the Good Shepherd.

People often say they love their free will and ability to choose yet the power of this psalm comes not from the sheep doing what they choose but rather from the Shepherds control, His staff and His rod.

He makes me lie down in green pastures.... He restores my soul.... Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

To contrast this Psalm with Jesus in the new testament we again see the same Shepherd with the same power and authority to keep his sheep as Psalm 23.

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give eternal life to them and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. John 10:27-28

You see Jesus used the analogy of a Shepherd and sheep to show the extent of his love that the Good Shepherd would die for his sheep.

I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. John 10:11

Add Your Comment(3)

I am the Good Shepherd - Jesus
Posted by Correy Thursday, December 15, 2005

3 Comments:

Blogger T.B. Vick said...

Welcome to the Blog World. I liked your site.

December 15, 2005 11:35 AM   Edit
Blogger Doug E. said...

Amen to that post, I want a shepherd who is in control.

Doug

December 16, 2005 8:40 AM   Edit
Anonymous Jim said...

Amen to that post, I want a shepherd who is in control. Doug

January 11, 2013 3:43 AM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Puritan Belief