Puritan Belief

The Puritans are the men of God who started in the 16th century building on the purity of the gospel message that Salvation is by Grace alone.

William Huntington

The man who was saved in a tool shed. (1745-1813)
William Huntington had a testimony where his sin would consume him and the wrath of God would be upon him for weeks at a time.


"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you," John 14:20

After reading these words William Huntington knew there to be a secret between Christ and those whom He will save that he was unaware of. This started him on some long, hard soul searching. He would confess His sins to God yet dare not ask for forgiveness for he knew himself to be a wretch undeserving of forgiveness.

William Huntington went to many different churches and has as many different dissappointments in them so he stayed home studying the scriptures for himself. He would write scriptures down that showed mans hopelessness vs Gods sovereignity.

"No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him," John 6:44

"I know whom I have chosen", John 13:18

After going through the entire bible William Huntington was in a worse dilemma than ever and he felt the damnation that was common to all the non-elect. ...What if all his repentance and sorrow for his sins, however true were in vain.

Huntington would think of his bastard birth and would be in terror when thinking that both his father and mother would be in Hell. For his mother took the Lord's Supper regularily but lived in adultary. He also knew the verses of the old testament that damn bastards as he was.

When at work he would tell the horses and cows that "they would never have to stand trembling at the Judgement seat only to be cast into hell". He even considered taking his own life yet thoughts of wrath after death made him think more soberly. One time he yelled out to his wife ""Molly, I am undone for ever; I am lost and gone; there is no hope nor mercy for me; you know not what a sinner I am, nor what I feel!" Even his work mates thought that he had gone mad.

The Tool Shed
While he was pruning a pear tree and in great self pity a bright light swept his anxious thoughts away and as clear as a bell he heard these words.

"But the comforter which is the Holy Ghost whom the father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring to remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. . . . . . . let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."

climbing down the ladder he cried out "what is it?" "what happened?" He then heard these words:

"Lay by your forms of prayer, and go pray to Jesus Christ; do not you see how pitifully he speaks to sinners?"

He then dashed into the tool shed with his apron over his head and face for fear. Then on his knees

"Oh Lord, I am a sinner, and thou knowest it I have tried to make myself better, but I cannot. If there is any way left in which thou canst save me, do thou save me; if not, I must be damned, for I cannot try any more, nor won't."

He then saw visions of Jesus on the cross and felt his sin deeper then ever before. Then he prayed:

"I did not know till now that I had been sinning against thy wounds and blood! I did not know that thou hadst suffered thus for wretched me! I did not know till now that I had any concern in crucifying thee! I cannot beg mercy of my suffering Lord and Saviour. No: send me to hell for I deserve it."

The more William Huntington pushed away Jesus the more Jesus approached him with love. From here Huntington was saved and born again for he had met the Lord where every christian must meet him at the cross. He went into the tool shed feeling damned, He came out of the toolshed with the Kingdom of God established in His heart.

William Huntington Quote
"Christ is the Holy One of his people; and they who are purged from sin by his blood, sanctified by his Spirit, in covenant, in favour, and in spiritual union with him, are complete in him, their Head; who is made of God unto them righteousness and sanctification."

"Such are new creatures, created in righteousness and true holiness; and it is God and none else, who humbles them and sanctifies them."

Further Reading
A Sinner becomes a Saint: William Huntington's Conversion Story

Add Your Comment(10)

William Huntington
Posted by Correy Thursday, January 05, 2006

10 Comments:

Blogger Doug E. said...

What an amazing testimony! Praise God.

I was not familiar with him. Thanks to you I now have a new guy to search out and read. :-)

God Bless,

Doug

January 05, 2006 10:31 AM   Edit
Blogger Rand said...

Scatch a another one for:

"So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

Or in this case, READING the Word of God!

January 05, 2006 2:40 PM   Edit
Blogger Mickey Sheu said...

Cool beans! I've linked it. (or, I will)

January 07, 2006 5:37 AM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see William Huntington listed on your website. He does indeed have a wonderful testimony and he was mightily used by God in preaching the Gospel. Deserves to be more widely known... but I have to say that I haven't seen him listed as a 'Puritan' before. But he certainly held to salvation by grace alone.

I have some of his works on my site and indeed have put some into print recently in a book entitled 'The Fountain of Life'.

Ian Potts
www.graceandtruthonline.com

March 31, 2006 11:07 PM   Edit
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HYPER CALVINIST

September 28, 2006 1:41 AM   Edit
Blogger Correy said...

what do you consider as a hyper calvanist?

September 28, 2006 12:04 PM   Edit
Blogger michael said...

I would consider one a Hyper-Calvinist who believes in Anti-Duty Faith... not just that, but this is a biggie.

November 20, 2006 6:43 PM   Edit
Blogger Correy said...

I have never met a calvinist who believes that we should just do nothing now that we are saved have you?

November 20, 2006 7:11 PM   Edit
Blogger Heshimu Colar, Pastor said...

Huntington is one of the best. Of all the men i read, he most abides in Christ and the new covenant.

January 25, 2009 7:57 PM   Edit
Anonymous Ulsth said...

The following are additional features and specs: When you want more than just another MP3 and video player; the Zune is the device for you. Compare Prices and Read Reviews on JVC KD-SH77 In-Dash CD Player at Epinions.com. …styling gives it retro flair, while the programmable top-loading CD player with 20-track memory builds in modern-day convenience.

February 28, 2013 12:57 PM   Edit

Post a Comment

<< Puritan Belief